Tuesday, July 24, 2012

day 2: my first onsen

I couldn't wait. Once we dropped off our luggage in the room, I jumped into my Yutaka and grabbed my towels.

The corner of the room as I entered had shelves of baskets. I placed my Yutaka and undergarments in one and covered them with my red towel.

With my small face towel in hand, I walked through two sliding doors to the main bath room. On the right side are two rows of bathing cubicles. These doorless cubicles have walls just tall enough to cover you when you sit on the stool provided. In front of the mirror, there are complimentary shampoo, conditioner, shampoo and facial wash.

After a relatively quick shower, I walked over to find more than three indoor baths and an outdoor one. Besides a couple of ladies showering, I saw only one other elderly lady heading out to the outdoor pool.

I randomly picked an indoor bath and dipped my feet in. The water was pleasantly warm and not to hot.

During the five to ten minutes I was there, a few ladies walked in to shower. My shyness forced my eyes to stay on the wall with flowers and accompanying Japanese names I can hardly read.

Walking out to the outdoor bath required a bit of courage. It was not so much the hotel opposite with windows that made me wonder if someone could see me naked, but the coldness. I took our guide Michelle's advice to only head out after a few minutes in the indoor bath, so fortunately the cold wind felt pretty welcoming.

After getting dressed, there were hairdryers, bottles of moisuturiser, combs, and other facial products available for use.

This 30-minutes experience was amazing! And I believe I'm hooked.


  • Activities: Shiroi Koibito Park (white chocolate factory), Otaru canal, Otaru Orgel Doi (music box museum), Sakaimachihondori St.
  • Accommodation: Hotel Milione - extremely spacious Japanese style tatammi room with separate toilet, bathroom, and wash basin. 8/10 just because it has a great Onsen with the best shower and after-bath products.
  • Cost: Snacks, 840¥ cheese cake set, 180¥ cream puff
  • Highlight: Cheese cake and silk cream puff at Otaru LeTAO and Bei Guo Lou (in Kanji) respectively were excellent recommendations by our guide Michelle.

No comments:

Post a Comment